Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Wii - one week on

Ok - so no impulse buy of  Wii for Christmas 2007 - couldn't find one for love or money, so Nintendo must be making money!   

No one seems to be selling a stand alone unit on the high street, so I ended up with a 2 game bundle instead -  sod's law dictated that HMV didn't have any of the games I really wanted so, so I ended up with some second choices -  Resident Evil Wii Edition and Red Steel (a launch title).

The big irony of buying the bundle is that in the UK this puts the Wii into the same price-point as the higher-end Xbox 360 and PS 3 bundles (£250-£300).  Yep you get Wii Sport and a nunchuck widget too.

I already own a 360 - so why buy a Wii and how do they compare?  Forget the raw specs for a moment and just consider the user experience . . .

Side by side the Wii looks tiny compared to the 360, but the main thing you immediately notice is the difference in NOISE.  The Wii is virtually silent compared to a 360 which sounds like a small jet taking off (only to be beaten by the Media Centre PC I own). 

Plus I have never managed to persuade Monica to play Halo 3, but Wii Tennis was positively received and she is actually sufficiently good at Wii play cow racing to consistently beat me these days.

No comments: